MP3 At 3PM: David Gergen

For a solo artist to garner comparisons to greats like Nick Cave, Nick Drake and Leonard Cohen is quite a tall order, yet Los Angeles native David Gergen manages to do just that with his self-released fourth release, The Nearer It Was…The Farther It Became (out January 18). And he has no high-end producers or backing band to thank for it, because Gergen is as solo as a solo artist gets, doing all the writing and work on the album himself—including recording it in his own home studio. Download twangy acoustic number “The Streets I’m Walkin’” below.

“The Streets I’m Walkin'” (download):

This entry was posted in FREE MP3s. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. delores starr
    Posted November 3, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

JAM ON IT!! THIS IS GREAT!

2. Kevin
    Posted November 3, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

Great song!!! I knew this guy in highschool, he rocked it then and he is still rockin it! Nice work Dave!

3. kathy fletcher
    Posted November 3, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

The first time I heard “The Streets I’m Walkin'”, I was driving down the Pacific Coast Highway. Listening to it again now, months later and thousands of miles away from PCH, put me back in time and space.. such is the magic of great music and art!

4. Eyal
    Posted November 4, 2010 at 3:37 am | Permalink

So much feel! Great piece of music. It’s hard to believe that there’s only Guitar playing in the playback as it sounds like a full band.

5. Chris R.
    Posted November 4, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Thanks for sharing this great song. This is the second time I’ve heard it and it makes me want to hear more so I will get your CD! You are one talented guy. Looking forward to see what you do next! Will you come to SLO to do a gig?

6. michelle fontaine
    Posted November 5, 2010 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

david gergen rocks!

7. eROCK
    Posted November 9, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

Some songs just grab you, and this is one of those. I find myself wanting to hear it again and again. You can tell Mr. Gergen has a lot of talent, and probably has many different influences. I might go as far to say he has fused together a new and unique genre which only a few musical geniuses have been able to pull off.

8. Posted December 21, 2010 at 3:02 am | Permalink

I absolutely love the lap steel, or perhaps the well oiled slide guitar part….David’s sound from this tune at least, is what might be deemed PURE AMERICAN MUSIC. The tonal depth, and subtle melancholy in the lyric, contrast with each other for a bam! of emotional communique. Frankly, this stuff, kicks ass, and I am going to check out more from this album. Great music to get you feeling good 🙂